Taking Your Tennis On Tour: The Business, Science, and Reality of Going Pro
By Bonita L. Marks, PhD
PART 1: THE ROAD TO THE PROS
Chapter 1. The College Route to the Pros
- Surviving College
- Does An Outstanding College Tennis Career Predict Your Pro Future?
- Life after College and Tennis
PART 2: THE SCIENCE OF GOING PRO
Chapter 2: Physical Toughness
- Sports Success: Born or Bred?
- Conditioning: You Really Must "Just Do It"
- Your Energy Systems
- Training Specificity
- How Do You Measure Up?
- Muscular Endurance
Chapter 3: Nutritional Toughness
- You Are What You Eat
- What Should You Eat?
- Your Basic Competition Meal Plan
- Red Flag: The Dehydration Road to Cramping
- Supplements: Help, Hype, or Horror?
Chapter 4: Mental Toughness
- So You Were a College Super-Star: Now What?
- Cultivating Discipline: The Making of a (Successful) Tennis Pro
- Handling Match Stress: Learning from Losing
- Handling Personal Stress: The Match Marches On
PART 3: THE BUSINESS OF GOING PRO
Chapter 5: Develop Your Business Sense
- Can You Fire Your Family?
- The Taxman Cometh
Chapter 6: Financial Planning
- Financial Wizardry: What's in Your Wallet?
- Budget Planning
Chapter 7: Your Sponsorship Plan
- Types of Sponsorships
- Selling Yourself: Creating Your Tennis Sponsorship Packet
- Whom To Approach?
- Coming to Terms with the "No" Word
- Don't Violate NCAA Gifting Rules
- The Progress Report
- About Corporate Support
- Successful Sponsorship: Life of Brian
- Your Sponsorship Packet Worksheets
Chapter 8: Sponsorship Contracts
- Evaluating Your Sponsorship Contract
- The Parties
- Promotional Rights and Exclusivity
- Terms of the Contract
- Payment Options
- Multiple Sponsors, Assignment, and Indemnity
- Sample Sponsorship Agreement (Contract)
- Revised Original Contract
- Renewal/Addendum to a Contract
Chapter 9: Do You Need a Sports Agent?
- When You Are Good Enough, They Will Come
- Where Are the Agents?
- Agents Listing
PART 4: THE REALITY OF GOING PRO
Chapter 10: Matchmaking
- Choosing Your Matches
- Tournament Resource Directory
- Train, Plane, or Automobile: Can You Get There from Here?
- Currency Conversions
- Weather and Other Stuff That Will Mess with Your Mind and Your Game
- Looking for a Few Good Men — Choosing Doubles Partners, Training Partners, and Coaches
- The Coach Dilemma
Chapter 11: Travel Toughness
- Futures Travel: The School of Hard Knocks
- Jet Lag
- Less Is More
- Don't Drink the Water
- Medical Stuff
- In the Players' Own Words: The Best and Worst Aspects of Circuit Life
- Do Blonds Have More Fun?
- When Good Players Go Bad
Chapter 12: Knowing When to 'Hang it Up'
- The Decision
Chapter 13: Looks Like You 'Made It'
- Knowing When You've 'Made It'
- Looks Like He 'Made It'
- Did They 'Make It'?
References and Additional Reading